Monday, November 26, 2018

Sent cold shivers throughout my body and mind


The 2018 Premier's Anzac Spirit School  Prize study tour group at the Long Tan Memorial after the ceremony 
on 4 October, 2018.




A time for Reflection: Cheryl Cates (RSL SA/NT) Vice President and 2018 Premier's Anzac Spirit School  Prize study tour participant writes


I selected this photo as it was one of the most significant times for reflection throughout the trip for me. Although there were many other fun times, fond memories and beautiful places of interest, this wonderful Commemoration sent cold shivers throughout my body and mind.  It is not only the Battle site for D Company 6 RAR on the 18th August 1966, it has now become a place where many visitors come to pay their respects for all those who not only made the supreme sacrifice in the Vietnam War, but those who also returned home to their loved ones.

It was very surreal being there to conduct a Commemorate Service of which I was very proud to carry out. It was also a way for me personally being able to say goodbye to my Father, a Vietnam Veteran, and have some closure after his passing four years ago. 

It was very poignant for the students, Teachers and RSL members in attendance to be able to place a rose with the name of their Vietnam Soldier they had researched at this Memorial.  This would have been the first time that those soldiers who lost their lives were Commemorated.  The placing of the wreath and roses, the sound of the Last Post playing and Ella reading out the words to ‘Only 19” touched all of us deeply and there was not a dry eye in the place.

Throughout this time in Vietnam, and in particular, Nui Dat, I could feel the presence of my Father with me. I could hear the ‘choppers’ flying over, the voices and rustling in the plantations surrounding us and the vehicles driving around. Some five decades later, it reinforces the values of honour, commitment, decency and courage that is instilled in our Military Personnel, which remains today. 

This time made me very proud to have served my Country.

Thank you for the opportunity to share this with you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment