Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Seeing history come to life


Holly Wallman writes:

The Premier’s Anzac Spirit School Prize has shown me that history’s impact is not limited to the past, because it is equally integral in shaping our future. When I first entered the competition, having the opportunity to research Matron Ethel Sarah Davidson allowed me to see not just the statistics behind World War One, but also one of the many incredible stories of sacrifice it entailed.

Upon being awarded the amazing opportunity to travel to Vietnam, I did not fathom just how impactful the trip would be for me. From walking the footsteps that Australians walked during the Vietnam War in places such as Nui Dat, to being culturally immersed in Vietnam through walking around its cities, the trip allowed me to walk the path of the very history that I have studied in classrooms.

Visiting the Cu Chi Tunnels was particularly valuable to me, because I was able to experience what those during the Vietnam War would have faced in the tunnels first-hand. Seeing those taller than me struggle to even enter the tunnels, as well as feeling the pressures of underground confinement for just a few minutes showed me just how horrific the conditions of war can be, even for those who are not fighting.

The experience of crawling through those tunnels was one that I could never have while reading information in a textbook, and truly brought to life the petrifying situations that conflict can bring. The constant fear of being discovered, facing diseases and the perils of being stuck underground are almost unimaginable for those who have not faced such horrors. Travelling through the tunnels showed me just how much harm war can bring, because it can not only hurt those on the battlefield, but also innocent people.

Imagining so many people with individualised stories in these tunnels, even young children, I truly felt that I witnessed the human impact of war. The idea of considering that other human beings can put each other in such situations is not only frightening, but horrifying. However, I believe that understanding the horrors of war and learning about this aspect of our history is important to our society, not just so that we can learn from our past, but so that we can create a better future.

Researching and learning about the experiences of Graham Leonard Norley and hearing the stories of others who fought in the Vietnam War was incredible. I think that stories are immensely powerful, because they shift our focus from mere numbers to a much deeper, humanised understanding of the world.


From this trip, I have gained many memories which will remain with me forever. I am so lucky to have had the chance to go on a journey not only so educationally rewarding, but also enjoyable through the friendships I have developed and experiences that I have had. I believe that the most valuable part of the Premier’s ANZAC Spirit School Prize was not only learning about history, but seeing history come to life.



No comments:

Post a Comment