Saturday, November 25, 2017

We were greeted with great inclusiveness


Image above: Ho Chi Minh City from the top floor of Muong Tanh Saigon Centre Hotel on 6 October 2017.



A journal extract from 2017 Premier's ANZAC Spirit School Prize student Jasmin Grist about life beyond just seeing the buildings of large cities.


Hidden beneath the soaring skyscrapers and within the bustling streets, lay many treasures

Since we arrived back in Australia, I have found that the more I think about it, the harder it has become for me to determine just one place or event as the most memorable to me throughout the Vietnam trip. After sifting through thousands of photos (literally), I finally narrowed it down. The photograph pictured above, shows Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) from the top floor balcony of Muong Tanh Saigon Center Hotel. At first glance, Ho Chi Minh City may appear to be like any other metropolis – stretching vastly in every direction, no end in sight. However, hidden beneath the soaring skyscrapers and within the bustling streets, lay many treasures; the noise and energy of the Ben Thanh Market, the beautiful French architecture, dinner on a boat cruising the Saigon River.
We were fortunate enough to explore many of Vietnam’s hidden secrets – and not just in Ho Chi Minh. Every city we visited, from Vũng Tàu to Hanoi, and the stunning countryside and villages in-between, had their own hidden gems. Walking through the city streets, both early in the morning and late at night, we experienced the dynamic life of Vietnam. The lantern-filled streets of Hoi An and the Night Markets in Hanoi were definitely stand out moments for me, being so different to what I’ve always known here in Australia. And the friendliness and curiosity of the Vietnamese people towards foreigners such as us, remains prominent in my memory. Everywhere we went – dancing with the yoga ladies in the park or chatting with people along the streets, we were greeted with great inclusiveness.
The Vietnam tour was an utterly amazing time, certainly setting the standard high as my first time travelling overseas. Being presented with the opportunity to experience the ‘full’ culture of Vietnam, rather than just snippets of it, allowed me to learn so much more than I expected to about the spectacular country’s culture and history. It seems I’ve caught the travellers bug (not the type that gives you diarrhoea). I truly believe that travelling and seeing the world, learning and comprehending a culture outside of our own homeland’s, can enrich a person’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment