Tuesday, November 28, 2017

As we were standing silently under the stars


Image above: A tranquil picture of Ha Long Bay at sunrise.


A journal extract from 2017 Premier's ANZAC Spirit School Prize student Lucy Fielke about her impressions of Vietnam history and culture.



This was an eye-opening experience

Behind the picturesque scenery was a country rich with history. I went to Vietnam expecting to learn about the culture and the war. But what I found was a country that was rich in experiences. I saw people on the early morning streets exercising, and going about their day with not a care in the world. People who had very little, but were content with what they had. They didn’t mind. They cared more about each other and connecting than about possessions.

I ate food that I would not normally try back in Australia. Vietnamese food in Vietnam is very different to Vietnamese food in Australia. It has so much more flavour. Our Australian version is just Western food with a bit of spice – compared to the real thing. It was more of an experience than a meal. It was course after course, a banquet – tasting and experiencing and sharing. You don’t just have a course that you choose, you share it all. It promotes community and conversation.  You feel like you belong more as you are connecting with people in a different way. It is more than just a meal.

In terms of history, I learnt so much. I was surprised by the French influence. I didn’t realise there was such a background from the French colonisation. They corrupted the Emperors and made the Vietnamese people think they had control, but really the French were pulling the strings. I was also amazed by the fact that some people became Emperors by the time they were 13. I can’t imagine being in that position at my age. Also, if the Emperors didn’t abide by the French rule they were exiled to the remote islands off the coast of Africa – pretty cut throat really.

This particular photo really moved me, because during the war, every part of the country was affected and under the influence of the war, but Ha Long Bay will still beautiful and untouched by the war. It really was a safe haven and cut off from the horror and devastation happening everywhere else in Vietnam. On the last night, here in Ha Long Bay we had a service/ceremony to commemorate our Vietnam and World War 1 soldiers that we had researched. As we were standing silently under the stars with the shadows of the islands around us, I could really imagine my soldier and nurse and feel how different their experiences were from my experiences in this place. It really made me appreciate the way I have grown up and the opportunities I have had. I couldn’t imagine the horrors and tragedy that they faced, not very many years older than I am now.



No comments:

Post a Comment