Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Moments I will never ever forget.


Image above: The smells, sights and atmosphere of the streets of Hoi An at night.


A journal extract from 2017 Premier's ANZAC Spirit School Prize student Alyssa Siebert about her favourite moments on the trip.


My favourite moments and memories

The 2017 ANZAC Spirit trip has gone by too quick. What was two weeks only feels like two days. The whole trip was amazing but if I had to narrow it down to some of my favourite moments and memories, it would be the those spent in Hoi An, Long Tan, our morning yoga sessions and the Song Cau Primary School. From the night of shopping with friends, to the bright and bubbly atmosphere of the locals and tourists and lantern lit streets it was no doubt my favourite place. Our morning walk was one or many but instead of in the sunshine like most others it was mainly in the pouring rain, though the smells were disgusting and I hope to never see live frogs and fish in baskets again.  Being able to see the rubber plantation of Long Tan today and imaging where the stories of many soldiers took place and being fortunate enough  to be able to lay a rose at the memorial and be part of a ceremony for all the soldiers was definitely a moment I will never forget. Our way of watching the city wake up was getting up at six o’clock every morning and walking through the streets of many Vietnamese cities and towns and taking part in yoga and dancing sessions with the locals, watching the them do Tai Chi. I will never forget about happy yoga which was quite different, but made you feel good about yourself. My favourite part of the trip was visiting the Song Cau Primary School. I may not have been able to speak the same language but watching their faces light when given their presents and the way we were able to teach and get along with them was a moment I will never ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment