Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Simply happy and seem complete






Image of a child at feeding pigeons at 6am on the streets of Hoi An, chosen by Montana Foster as special to her from the trip.


Montana writes:

Satisfied with the simple things in life

Going on the ANZAC Spirit Prize study tour to Vietnam was a once in a lifetime opportunity and has enabled me to meet so many amazing people, learn about the Vietnam War and the country of Vietnam. One thing that stuck with me during the trip and now remains in my mind afterwards is the attitude of the Vietnamese people and their lifestyle. They are simply happy and seem complete, just with the bare necessities.


I found this attitude was captured perfectly within this mesmerising moment. The child is simply happy, entertained by feeding pigeons on the streets and enjoying nature within her city environment. No electronic devices, video games or plastic toys and yet so satisfied. It was a moment of perfect child innocence, unspoiled by current trends and technology.


Though I could not hear her joy, I could see the look of peace and content on her face. She had respect for the pigeons and nature that Australians can take for granted; when we look at pigeons, we see them as pests but instead she saw them as her friends and something worth feeding. It also surprised me to see a child outside so early in the morning and comfortable in the dirty surroundings. I could see that this place was her home and that she would grow up to be to be a happy, grateful, giving adult, just like the majority of her community.


The happy attitude flowed through the whole Vietnamese community, from children to the elderly, and it was very refreshing. Whenever the group went on an early morning walk, I was overwhelmed with the number of locals dancing, practising yoga and aerobics energetically. They were inviting and encouraged us to join in; I always left feeling happy and relaxed.


I have learned a very valuable lesson during my time in Vietnam, one that everyone should take into consideration. When one is grateful for what they have, instead of obsessing over what they want or the negatives of life, they become a better, more complete person. This picture will always remain with me, and will serve as a reminder of this lesson, just one of the many things I learnt on the ANZAC Spirit Prize study tour to Vietnam.





No comments:

Post a Comment