Saturday, November 2, 2019

No matter where you are in the world, kids are kids.


Photograph with some of the students at the Sông Cầu Primary School, chosen by India Little as a special image from the trip to Vietnam.

India writes:


I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face

The big smile on my face pretty much sums up the whole trip for me but one highlight was going to the school, and the whole time we spent there I couldn’t wipe that smile off my face.
I took this photo with a group of school girls whilst playing with them in the small courtyard joining their classrooms. In the outside area we managed to get into a circle with a group of children and throw the ball around to each other. Even though some of the children were shy at first they quickly came out of their shells and despite the lack of communication the smiles on all our faces were enough.   

Sitting down with the children, giving them their packs of simple school supplies and watching their faces light up with excitement was one of the best feelings. For one little boy the box that the supplies came in was more entertaining and interesting as he put it on his head, showing off to the other kids, running around being the class clown. Observing the classroom and seeing the children’s behaviour, I learnt that no matter where you are in the world, kids are kids.

I had bought from home some colourful rubber bracelets which I handed out to the children at the school. Each child’s reaction was different however they were all so grateful to receive the small simple gift. Seeing the children so happy showing their bracelets off to each other made me realise how such a small gift can bring so much joy to some.  I remember one little girl saying “thank you” to me in perfect English surprising me and making me smile. It made me so happy to think that I had left a little piece of me with these children by gifting them something so simple.

Waving the children goodbye as we left was sad to think we would never see these cheerful, welcoming people again, yet it warmed my heart knowing we had made a difference and our fundraising was worthwhile.

It is crazy to think that on the first day of arriving in Ho Chi Minh City we were all so naive and new to each other not knowing what adventure was awaiting us on the trip. Fast forward 12 days and we had become a family after experiencing this life-changing trip side by side. I will never forget the great times I had with these amazing people, singing at the back of the bus with Bob, chatting with Martin and Toni, interacting with the happy Vietnamese people and just watching the world go by out of the bus window. Not only did I gain so much more knowledge about the Vietnam War but also the country of Vietnam itself, the people and their culture all leaving me spellbound. Not many can understand the impact that this trip has had on me, except the other 15 students and teachers. I have so many special memories that I know will last a lifetime and for that I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment