Thursday, October 25, 2018

How often do we really see that kind of happiness?



Image above: Orphans and a carer at the Hong Quang Orphan House in Baria.


Laj Thind writes:

Among many memories and learning experiences during the two weeks in Vietnam, one of the highlights for me was interacting with the people. I loved connecting with them and this is why the photograph at an orphanage including an elderly woman with four young children surrounding her is of significance to me. Meeting these people was special to me as I created a bond with one of them and knowing that as a group we had in some way supported these children and elderly makes me want to contribute more. Also knowing that the Vietnamese government does not support them was saddening, however it wasn’t surprising.

What I loved about the orphanage was the loving, homely feel to it and seeing that they are cared for by elders and have sibling like figures in their life. The second orphanage that we visited unfortunately did not have the same feel as the first. However it was evident to me that the Buddhist Monk in charge was doing the best that he could for the children. I was very astonished when I was told that in the past three days at that orphanage two babies were put on their doorstep. This angered, saddened me and frustrated me as I couldn’t do anything about it. However, I was reinforced with the knowledge that not all orphanages are like the first one we attended. I hope next years group visits both these orphanages again.

The pure joy in the children at the first orphanage when they were given soccer balls and footballs to play with was very refreshing because how often do we really see that kind of happiness? Especially in a society where we take these things for granted so often. Its strange that we generally see that with children below the age of five, the happiest they are is when it's all about the little things. This was a time of reflection for me to once again remember to be appreciative of what I have. It also gave me a realisation that I actually quite like playing with young children below the age of 4 because they do not ask the why questions.

I have to say that this trip to Vietnam has become so meaningful because of the experiences and friends I have made. It is easily the best thing I have done in my life so far.
Thanks you!


No comments:

Post a Comment